best football wallpaper

Monday, September 29, 2008

Read this Manhwa: Volume 2


Shaman Warrior Volume 2 is the second volume of one of the two manhwa (Korean comics)series Dark Horse is in the middle of releasing. Volume 1 is stunningly gorgeous, but some felt there was more sizzle than substance, (yours truly not included).

Volume 2 could have gone in several directions, but I am happy to report that it takes some daring and bold jumps that give resonence back to the first volume. It is just as visually grabbing, but I find the story to be clearer, and the larger tale is beginning to take form. Park's special talent is in his original portrayal of fight sequences. There is a fight in the middle of the book between egotistical hunters which really jumps off the page. It seems to be a little easier to follow than some of the action scenes in the previous book, and maybe this is on purpose. Regardless, it is vibrant and violent, and I had to remind myself I was looking at pen and ink drawings. Click the image on the left for a closer look.

I won't go into too much detail, as to not ruin some exciting plot twists, but I will say Volume 2 is set a few years after the events of the first volume, and the Shaman Warriors are still targets of ongoing manhunts. (It's not clear where or even when the story is set... far in the past or in a post-apocolyptic far future, but that may be my imagination getting the best of me.) We are introduced to Horakaan, a Shaman Warrior on the run, who has a violent and revealing history.

Word on the street is that Volume 3 is the best of the first three books in the series, so there is even more to look forward to. Volume 3 is set to be released on May 23 (and for some reason is listed at $15.95, but I am guessing that is a typo on the website).

copyrighted by
http://mechamechamedia.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

best football wallpaper